Organisations constantly give people their first line management role because the individual has been identified as being good at their day job, not necessarily being good with people.
People skills are a very different skillset from dealing with processes and tasks. Managing people can be the best job in the world, or the worst. No-one tells you what it’s like until you find out for yourself. ‘You’ll be fine’ is all you may get.
This programme is your opportunity to find out in advance what you might be letting yourself in for and whether it’s right for you – whether at this stage in your career, a bit later, or perhaps never. This can save you and your organisation time, effort and heartache.
You’ll find out what’s needed to transition from team member to team leader. You’ll learn what are the characteristics of good managers and see how you think you’ll measure up. You’ll discover what to look out for in the early days – what are the most common pitfalls awaiting the new manager and how can you avoid them?
It’s a very practical programme which will boost your confidence in managing people and help make the learning curve a little less steep as you transition from team member to team leader. It will help you develop the skills you will need for the rest of your career – it might well be the most useful programme you ever attend!
- Have a benchmark for what great managers do and don’t do – see how you measure up
- Discover the pitfalls to look out for and develop strategies to deal with them
- Identify your development areas to lead others effectively
- Understand the importance of body language when communicating with your team – learn what to do, what not to do
- Know how to deal with challenging employee behaviours
- Find out what are the most common management dilemmas and how to deal with them
- Boost your confidence for stepping up to management – or consider why it might not be for you
‘From team member to team leader’ is one of our most popular ‘modules’ and Scott Rumsey is one of our most popular trainers. See some of the feedback he’s had recently from delivering this module virtually:
- ‘Scott is always really informative and encourages active debate.’
- ‘Very comprehensive.’
- ‘Very interesting and well presented.’
- ‘Engaging and interesting.’
- ‘I liked that this session approached many challenges a new lead faces in their new role. When taking this new role from inside the team it’s very difficult to find the right way of imposing yourself as a leader while keeping an open relationship with your peers who are now under your management. Very helpful information and advice, both from Scott and from the others who contributed on the chat.’
- ‘Really enjoyed how the trainer read each comment the participants put in the chat and was in an “open dialogue” with them.’
- ‘Great webinar as always – Scott Rumsey is both knowledgeable and skilled in managing to convey so much in a brief session.’
- ‘Great sessions, ideal length timewise for staff to attend. Engaging presenter and useful format with the online chat.’
- ‘Excellent facilitation from Scott, very interactive session.’
- ‘It was very interesting and I will definitely use everything I learned in the future.’
- ‘It was good to hear feedback and how everyone may deal with different situations.’
- ‘Very beneficial and eye-opening to new techniques.’
- ‘Just enough for one session. Gave food for thought.’
- ‘Good session, good reminder on lots of things. Good to set out at the beginning (as Scott did) that there would be a handout. Good to set out videos not needed (but can if want to) – again as Scott did set out at the beginning. Good use of chat function for interaction.’
- ‘Covered lots of topics, kept everything on track.’
- ‘Excellent training as usual. Useful info in comments section.’
- ‘I enjoyed this session. I think it would work really well in teams and would generate a lot of discussion.’
- ‘Very useful, with lots of great advice.’
- ‘Great session!’
To discuss which management and personal effectiveness modules would best suit you, just give us a call on 01582 463460 and we’ll be happy to talk you through the options.