All teams need to step back periodically and think about where they have been and where they are going. A newly formed team – or a recently restructured one, or one that’s ‘just a bit stuck’ – needs to focus first on the bigger picture before it can get down to the job of service delivery.
If there’s no shared sense of purpose – no vision, no mission – then it’s possible that energies are not being directed as well as they could be, that inefficiencies are arising, and that the team is drifting or failing.
In situations such as these, a team identity day can be invaluable, helping the team establish a sense of direction, of purpose, of identity.
This workshop usually has two very specific outcomes. First, a draft (or revised) vision and mission statements, sometimes expressed as a ‘Team Charter’. And secondly, an agreed set of next steps.
Participants tend to come away from the event, inspired and motivated, with an increased sense of purpose and commitment and a better understanding of their own role as well as that of the team as a whole.
This very flexible programme is designed for teams at all levels, from front-line to senior leadership team. It works particularly well with internal service delivery teams and with newly created teams following a re-structure, for example.
Ultimately, it’s appropriate for any team that needs to take a step back and think about its role within the organisation, by creating a shared vision and mission that will ensure consistency in approach across all aspects of its role.
This is very much a facilitated session, so a successful outcome requires the active participation of all those involved.
Amanda is always the first port of call for public service and VCSE clients. She is an extremely popular trainer, facilitator, coach and consultant with an in-depth understanding of what it means to work in the public and VCSE sectors.
To be agreed. Sometimes, for example, we invite team members to be prepared to input on their individual priorities or challenges.
- Why are we here?
- What do we all want to achieve?
- What will be important to make sure we get the most from the day?
- In what way we do we operate as a team now?
- What examples do we have of working well together?
- What are our biggest practical challenges in working together?
- SWOT exercise
- SWOT analysis and discussion
- What are the consequences for us as a team?
- How are we perceived by other service areas?
- How are we perceived by our customers and service users?
- How do we see ourselves?
- How do we see ourselves in the future?
- What is ‘added value’?
- How can we provide it?
- Are we focusing on the right things for impact?
- Want v need v expect
- Who are we and what do we do?
- Why does our team ultimately exist?
- What are we here to deliver?
- Who relies on us?
- Who do we rely on for success?
- What consistencies in delivery must we demonstrate?
- What is a ‘vision’ and why do we need one?
- Drafting a vision statement
- What is a ‘mission’?
- Drafting our mission statement
- Being clear about our team vision and mission
- Do we have clarity about our team identity and approach going forwards?
- Agreeing the immediate next steps
To discuss which workshops would best suit you, just give us a call on 01582 463460 and we’ll be happy to talk you through the options.