The local government political management process works best when elected members and officers understand their respective responsibilities and have good communication systems in place, with good working relationships.
This workshop will help you navigate your Council’s decision-making processes more effectively and get to grips with who is responsible for what. You will better understand where you fit in, your roles and responsibilities and how to influence elected member relationships.
You will increase your knowledge and understanding and be able to think about how you manage within a political environment.
- Understand the political structure of your Council and the various roles and responsibilities of the political post holders involved
- Understand the political decision-making process and how you fit in
- Be clear about the difference in responsibilities of officers and elected members
- Learn the Member Officer Relationship Protocol and implications for you
- Understand good governance and the role Democratic Services play
All managers who would like to gain a greater understanding of the political environment in which they operate.
A practical half-day workshop (three hours) for a group of up to 12 people.
Amanda is always the first port of call for public service and VCSE clients. She is an extremely popular trainer, facilitator, coach and consultant with an in-depth understanding of what it means to work in the public and VCSE sectors.
- Learning objectives
- Setting the context
- What do you know already?
- Plenary with answers
- Filling in the gaps
- Short activity and discussion
- WIIFM (what’s in it for me?)
- Identifying implications for your communications and job role
- The Member Officer Relationship Protocol
- Key advice for managers
- Supporting good governance
(This session relies on your organisation providing relevant information in advance to make this relevant to your situation)
- There is an option to invite a Democratic Services officer to present in this slot.
- Personal action planning
To discuss which workshops would best suit you, just give us a call on 01582 463460 and we’ll be happy to talk you through the options.