Alastair has leadership experience that is riven with authenticity in the trenches after over 5 years as a CEO of a national charity, facilitating leadership support and development. He has been developing business leadership teams from large household names to small businesses, using his leadership experience, humour and approachable manner to inspire and inform growth.
Alastair helps a range of organisations across the private, public, voluntary and community sectors achieve their objectives using facilitation and coaching, enabling leaders to get the best out of themselves and those who work with them.
With his sci-tech background, having a DPhil in Chemical Physics, he has insight into leading technical companies and combines that through a relatable manner. He builds strong rapport from team leaders and operational managers to senior leadership teams / C-Suite.
Key areas of expertise
As well as his main focus of leadership and personal effectiveness, Alastair draws on his technical and people skills background to support in a range of areas:
- Leadership and Management development
- Personal effectiveness
- Team building
- Senior Leadership Team Development
- Strategic Planning
- Away Day Facilitation
- Performance Management
- Commercial and Not-for-Profit Organisations.
- Change Leadership
- Innovation and Creativity
Alastair’s career started in science, gaining a D Phil in Chemical Physics and delivering training for new scientists. This further developed into working with young leaders in youthwork charities. He became the Youthwork National Training and Development Officer for the 2nd largest charity in the UK. He then had further leadership experience as the CEO of FYT, an established charity leading a team of 60 and additionally supporting and resourcing over 50 autonomous projects around the UK.
As an accredited member of the Association for Coaching he has supported directors to turn around companies in construction, science and technology, as well as coaching ‘heads of’ in hospitality and online businesses. Alastair has an MA in community education and is an experienced ILM certified facilitator.
He is enthusiastic about investing in the potential of others from one to one through to teams. As a consequence, he has helped many organisations improve the capability of their leaders and managers at all levels. Including facilitation of strategy days, senior leader coaching, change masterclasses, emotional intelligence assessments and designing client specific courses.
Alastair’s feedback is positive and warm evidencing learning from workshop participants, both classroom and virtual, as the following comments show:
- ‘Alastair. I just wanted to connect to say thank you for the webinars this week … I have so appreciated the opportunity for connection, listening and learning.’
- ‘Thanks to Alastair for an inspiring Resilience Workshop for the FLOW Creative – Manchester team yesterday, I think we all got a lot from it.’ (Karl Doran, Director Flow Creative)
- ‘May I also take this opportunity to thank you for 11 highly enjoyable and very engaging sessions over the past 18 months. Its been fantastic to work with you and I look forward to seeing you in Preston very soon.’ (Jamie)
- ‘Thank you for delivering some really effective and engaging sessions over the last 18 months – I have really looked forward to meeting up every other month.’ (Stephen)
- ‘Thanks for today’s session and thanks also for delivering a really good course.
- You have helped my learning and understanding and delivered everything in an enthusiastic manner.’ (Andrea)
- ‘I went into the coaching sessions with an open mind but can honestly say the benefits of the time I have spent with Alastair have far surpassed my expectations, so much so I would be keen to extend my coaching along with possible group sessions for others within the company. People have commented on the difference in my leadership and said that the company feels like a different place as a result. Thanks again Alastair I really have taken a lot from these sessions.’ (Director, NW Construction Company)
- ‘I find self-reflection a very powerful tool – and talking about those reflections with someone who has more experience than I do makes them even better. Alastair always gives a fair & balance point of view on the issues I bring him & often gives brilliant practical next steps to help progress the situation.’ Coaching Client (June 2021)
- ‘Thank you for a great session :)’
- ‘Provided a great space for discussion, kept us focused & lovely to have the music background at times!’
Alastair is based in Manchester and works across the country, often with clients in London and Brighton.