Talk like TED: The Masterclass
24-25 April 2018
£795 + VAT
A two-day, advanced-level master class structured around the iconic TEDx Talks, the gold standard for public speaking. It’s an expert-led, in-depth and very practical course with lots of opportunity for skills practice to hone your public speaking expertise even further.
Our fun and challenging master class is highly recommended for you if you already have an advanced understanding of stage presence, but would like a more in-depth approach and lots more opportunity to practice than our one-day workshop, Talk Like TED in a day!
Over the two days, you’ll learn how to speak with passion and enthusiasm whilst creating a highly engaging environment that will shock, wow and captivate your audience. Susie, our expert trainer will help you discover your own, personal delivery style and how to apply it while keeping your audience in the palm of your hand. You’ll leave the masterclass confident in your ability to deliver your ideas with pin-point clarity as well as knowing you’re a master of elegant and engaging expression.
DRESS CODE: smart casual
Full details below or download flyer.
This masterclass will help you:
- Develop and deliver a short TED style presentation
- Increase vocal impact and body language
- Portray yourself as a self-assured speaker
- Know the content of your presentation inside-out and deliver it with passion
- Combat any fears and voice your ideas confidently
- Leave a lasting impression on your audience that makes you stand out from the rest
- Know how to differentiate from information that gets forgotten to lasting, impactful messages
- Get an audience to buy into your ideas, through a clear ‘call to action’
Ultimately, you will be provided with a toolbox as a result of this masterclass including all elements of powerful presenting and successful speaking that you can use to energise and motivate.
Managers, directors and team leaders at senior level can all benefit from mastering the art of talking like TED.
This masterclass is delivered as a two-day training session, with 6-8 delegates. This is to ensure participants can utilise the knowledge and experience acquired over the two days, with the trainer Susie Ashfield, helping you to develop your skills in this area evenly and fairly.
Attendees are required to bring along a recent presentation to be assessed and redeveloped throughout day 2.
Susie has worked as a voice-over artist for BBC, Sky, ITV1, Sony Pictures, Spotify and many more. Unusually, she used to combine this with working in the City as an insurance broker, managing a client body of high net worth and high profile clients in media television and film. She is now a full-time freelance trainer and coach, making the most of her unusual combination of acting skills and director-level business experience by specialising in helping clients to control and optimise their body language and non-verbal communication techniques, structuring presentations for effect, and giving the kind of vocal empowerment needed to both succeed and be seen to succeed.
Location, timing, etc
- 24-25 April 2018
- British Dental Association, 64 Wimpole Street, London – a ten minute walk from Oxford Circus or Great Portland Street tube stations
- 9.30 – 16.30
- Dress code: smart casual
Talk like TED: The Masterclass workshop outline
1 What’s it all about?
- Exercise: filming a short presentation
- Introduction to the top public speakers
- Understanding the needs of the listener
- The currency of ideas
- Outlining your intention
2 Finding the story in complex content
- The authentic self
- Analysing memorable messages
- How do you add value to your content?
- Exercise: The Six Principles of Sticky Ideas (Dan and Chip Heath)
- How do you teach something new?
3 Deliver jaw-dropping moments
- Systematic creativity
- The ‘urban legends’ concept – what makes stories unforgettable? How elements of the unexpected takes content from ordinary to extraordinary
– Deliver an emotionally charged experience
– How to effectively use statistics and data
– Tactics that get results
– The toolbox: hands, volume, pausing, eye contact, expression
– Energy levels. What percentage are you at?
– What type of communicator are you?
4 Combatting anxiety
- How to answer difficult questions
- Identifying challenging situations
- Controlling nervous energy
5 Making it personal
- Creating impact
- Make an emotional investment
- Exercise: personal anecdotes and memories
- The 6 steps to a TED Talk
– Lighten up!!
– Analogies and metaphors
– Keeping it simple
– Pictures and props
– Find the emotion
– Is it Novel?
Make it memorable
– Self-assessment and playback
– Strengths and weaknesses: group evaluation
6 Analysing the body and voice
- Discovering your natural voice
- The toolbox: breathing, volume, pitch, pace, tone, pausing
- Finding the voice of a leader: speaking with authority
- Discovering your natural style
– Fighting tension: breathing exercises to combat stage fright
– Resonance: giving your voice gravitas
7 Key message assessment
- Finding your core message: problem, situation, solution
- Telling the story: the power of the unexpected and visual imagery that sticks
- Making it personal: rewriting your content
8 Deliver to engage
- Getting physical:
- Natural, off-the-cuff delivery
- Exercise: the energy levels / pantomime play
- Executing a perfect pitch
– Analogies and metaphors
– The key to charisma (the theory of charisma)
– Confidence skills and tricks
– Injecting appropriate humour
– Strategic key messages
– Closing with a call to action
9 Action planning
- Exercise: identify specific actions to enhance your presentation style
- Exercise: personal action planning
- Final delivery and self-assessment
Book now for Talk like TED: The Masterclass – 24-25 April 2018
- All our events are very popular and places on this course are limited to 8.
- Please book (and pay) online, using the Eventbrite order form below.
- Please read ‘the small print’: We reserve the right to refuse admission if payment has not been received. A full refund will be made for cancellations received in writing at least 20 working days prior to the event date; there is no refund for cancellations made within 20 working days of the start of the event. We reserve the right to change the programme, the dates, the trainer or the venue: participants will be notified as soon as practicable in such circumstances. In the event that the event is cancelled, a full refund will be given. We disclaim any further liability.
- If you have a promotional code, please click on ‘Enter Promotional Code’ below. (We regret that we cannot give discounts retrospectively).
Any questions? Just give Helen Nuttall a call on 01582 714280.