Employment Tribunal claims and how to deal with them
Despite attempts to reduce the number of claims, there are now more Tribunal cases than ever before (almost 200,000 a year, according to the latest figures), so the chances are that some of them are being made against your organisation. Whether you want to avoid claims in the first place or simply handle them more efficiently, this course – presented by a member with more than twenty years’ standing of the Employment Tribunal judiciary – will help you.
This course will help participants:
- Understand how the system works
- Get to grips with the rules and the technical ‘jargon’
- Minimise the risk of claims arising in the first place
- Decide whether to settle or defend a claim
- Handle the pre-hearing processes efficiently
- Prepare the case
- Know what to expect ‘on the day’
- Keep the costs down throughout the process
This course is intended for all HR practitioners who are likely to find themselves involved in Employment Tribunal cases.
The programme is not really appropriate to line managers who may be called upon to give evidence before a Tribunal. If you have a case pending, we can deliver a workshop tailored specifically to their requirements.
A highly-participative, practical and informative one-day course, presented in an outgoing, informal and relaxed style. Business examples, case studies and discussion briefs are used to stimulate participant interest and to cater for a range of learning styles.
As a member with almost twenty years’ standing of the Employment Tribunal judiciary (the youngest member ever appointed), the expert trainer is particularly well-qualified to present this course.
If desired, it is also possible to include in the programme a session with a current Employment Tribunal Chair. This is particularly recommended for courses which include participants who already have some experience of the Employment Tribunal system.
Employment Tribunal claims and how to deal with them workshop outline
1 Understanding the Employment Tribunal system
- The system
- The ‘jargon’
- The rules
- The alternatives
2 How to keep out of the Tribunal
- Following the right processes
- Making the right decisions
- Managing complaints
- Dismissing people fairly
- Using compromise agreements
3 Responding to a claim
- What to do if you receive an ET1
- What are the legal issues? Defend or settle?
- How to complete the ET3
- Complying with ET orders
- Questionnaires and disclosure
4 How to prepare your case
- Working with lawyers and barristers – who does what?
- Witness statements and briefing
- Collating the documents
- Following – and using – the rules
- Checklists and tips
5 What happens on the day?
- What to do when you get there
- Who goes first?
- Questions from the Tribunal
- Closing submissions
- The decision
- Awards (and how to minimise them)
6 After the hearing
7 Review and close
For a no-obligation discussion about running this workshop for your organisation please just give us a call on 01582 714280.