A coaching approach to HR business partnering
4-5 July 2017 – London
£795 + VAT
Full details below or download flyer.
A unique two-day workshop to help you develop your coaching skills and to apply them specifically in the context of HR business partnering.
HR business partnering is all about balancing:
- being a subject matter expert, with building the capability
- working strategically, with operational delivery
- engaging others, with delivering difficult messages
- providing inspiration, with being a critical friend
This is what we do when we use a coaching approach. This is why ‘able to take a coaching approach with the business’ comes up time and time again in the top three skills an HR Business Partner requires.
As an HR Business Partner, you may already have very good coaching skills. But do you consciously apply them to the business partnering role? A coaching approach can deliver considerable benefits, helping you work more effectively with key stakeholders, boosting engagement and facilitating performance.
This might be a very different way of dealing with your stakeholders, yet many of the skills will be familiar to you – the ability to really listen, to ask great questions that encourage fresh thinking, and to give honest feedback that will be heard, all lie at the core of great relationships that help improve performance.
Our two-day workshop focuses on four key learning points. By the end of the workshop you will be aware that a solution-focused coaching approach:
- underpins what ‘good looks like’ for HR Business Partnering
- is key to building sustainable working relationships with colleagues / internal clients
- enhances stakeholder engagement
- enables effective management of group dynamics
and you will know how to put this into practice as an HR Business Partner.
The aim is to build on your current level of expertise and give you the additional knowledge, rigour and insight to do more of what you do well to become more confident in taking a coaching approach. This will enable you to feel better equipped and more confident to work with key stakeholders, whether individually or in a group setting, to drive business performance.
To enable HR Business Partners to use a coaching approach with ‘stakeholders’ as a way to enhance communication, build stronger relationships and influence implementation. The two days are about applying the key knowledge and skills that underpin a ‘person-centred’ coaching conversation.
The focus is on active learning by experiential exercises, skills practice, feedback and group discussion.
Each day contains three skills practice sessions which allow individuals to learn from three perspectives:
- Delivering coaching
- Experiencing coaching as a client
- Observing and feeding back on a session
The process is so much more than sharing knowledge and giving you the opportunity to build your skills. The way the facilitator runs this programme is to actually take a coaching approach. You are in charge of your learning. This is not a process you can passively absorb; you will get out of it what you put into it. You will be using a coaching approach with others, getting feedback, and benefiting from experiencing a coaching approach yourself.
This unique workshop programme has been designed specifically for HR Business Partners.
Business Partners from other disciplines (eg, IT or finance) would also benefit.
The workshop is presented / facilitated by Elizabeth Crosse, Maximum Coaching’s Practice Director.
Elizabeth is one of the 1% of coaches in the world to have attained the International Coach Federation
(ICF) Master Certified Coach credential. She has over 25 years of expertise in coaching and development in the UK and abroad and was a pioneer in introducing internal coaching to the Civil Service.
Elizabeth’s coaching practice encompasses working with individuals and teams to drive business performance. As a trainer and facilitator, Elizabeth partners with organisations to develop organisational coaching capability, including training managers to build coaching skills and developing internal coaches for accreditation. In addition, she offers coach mentoring and individual and group supervision for coaches.
Elizabeth is a Fellow of the CIPD and holds an MEd in Education and an MSc in counselling psychology. She is a qualified NLP Certified Coach and Master Practitioner. She is an accredited coach supervisor and an ICF registered coach mentor. This background enables her to work holistically using intellectual rigour in a way that is structured and flexible in responding to the specific requirements of clients.
This is a tried-and-tested programme, which Elizabeth has delivered to a number of clients already. See what the participants (all HR Business Partners) said about it:
‘Elizabeth was brilliant over the two days and really made us think and work hard to learn and understand the content. The best part was being able to practise the skills with each other.
It was enjoyable, and I found out a lot about myself as well as how coaching could help me in a Business Partnering role.’
‘The course has given me a lot of food for thought. It has been a great introduction to coaching and I now feel confident to use this new skill in my day-to-day business partner role.’
‘It was tailored to people working in a Business Partner role and gave lots of opportunities to practise coaching skills in a safe environment.’
‘It gives good insight into when it’s applicable to use coaching and let me know that it was OK to ask for advice when I need it rather than be coached unknowingly.’
‘A really well-structured course. Lots of helpful practical work combined with relevant supporting material. Facilitator was very engaging as well.’
‘It was valuable to look at coaching in the context of a business partner relationship rather than standard peer-to-peer or manager-to-team based coaching.’
Location, timing, etc
- 4-5 July 2017
- 9:30 – 5:00
- British Dental Association, 64 Wimpole Street, London – a ten-minute stroll from Oxford Circus / Great Portland Street tube stations
- The BDA is also just a two-minute walk from Marylebone High Street
- £795 + VAT
- Certificates of attendance will be issued for CPD purposes
1 Welcome and introduction
- Introduction to the session
- Objectives; what will make the workshop worthwhile for you?
- The roles of the HR Business Partner; strategic v people focus
- Challenges of HR business partnering
2 A coaching approach
- What do we mean by a coaching approach? Myths and reality
- The HR Business Partner as coach
- Experiencing a coaching approach
– When to coach, when not to coach
– Coaching v other HR interventions
– Group coaching exercise
– Coaching demonstration
3 An introduction to the four key coaching skills
- Building trust and rapport
- Active listening and powerful questions
- Direct communication and giving feedback
- Planning and goal-setting
- Application: Skills practice – Listening to understand; prioritising your HR Business Partner challenges
4 A solution-focused approach to HR Business Partnering
- The OSCAR model
- Application: Skills practice – using the OSCAR model as a framework for a coaching conversation to address your key challenge
5 Review and next steps
- Reflections and action planning
6 Learning review
- Sparkling moments
- What underpins a good coaching approach – core competencies
- Coaching and HR Business Partnering competence
7 Exploring possibilities and challenging with integrity
- Heron’s Framework to explore your communication and coaching style
- Application: Skills practice – flexing styles to meet the needs of different contexts / stakeholders
- The support / challenge matrix
- Application: Skills practice – challenging with integrity
8 What we are learning from neuroscience
- Implications for using a coaching approach with stakeholders
- Shifting mindsets – from problem to solution focus
- Application: Skills practice – revisiting OSCAR: a coaching conversation to explore delivering your key objectives
9 Review and next steps
- GOT/WANT matrix – reflections on learning
- Application: Coaching conversations – your personal development plan
- Commitments to action
- Key learnings and take-aways
Book now for A coaching approach to HR business partnering
– 4-5 July 2017
- All our events are very popular and places on this course are limited to 12.
- Please book (and pay) online, using the Eventbrite order form below.
- Please read ‘the small print’: We reserve the right to refuse admission if payment has not been received. A full refund will be made for cancellations received in writing at least 20 working days prior to the event date; there is no refund for cancellations made within 20 working days of the start of the event. We reserve the right to change the programme, the dates, the trainer or the venue: participants will be notified as soon as practicable in such circumstances. In the event that the event is cancelled, a full refund will be given. We disclaim any further liability.
- If you have a promotional code, please click on ‘Enter Promotional Code’ below. (We regret that we cannot give discounts retrospectively).
Any questions? Just give Helen Nuttall a call on 01582 714280.